Saturday, May 5, 2012

An Icon for a Dream

When I saw the beautifully wrapped parcel on my bed a couple of weeks ago, neither I nor my husband who gave me the gift could have imagined the tremendous impact it would have on me. I opened the parcel, lifted the gift out of the wrapping paper, and a flood gate of memories sprung open. In rapid flashes, images from a dream I had two years ago dashed across my mind.
I turned the gift around several times, examined it closely, it was a very close replica of the finished product I envisioned in my dream. I recalled the details of that dream, how I wrote down all the specifications which would make my product unique and set it apart from others. I remembered identifying a label name for the product of my dream, and how I started collecting the raw materials for it. I also remembered how after a while it looked impossible for this dream to be pursued and how I had let it fade into near oblivion. The gift item brought it all back, every single detail of my dream.
Every time I look at the gift since that day, it reminds me of my dream, not to give up on it and to start again collecting the materials. The conditions are not yet right for me to pursue it vigorously but I know that there are some things I can do now in preparation for the fulfillment of my heart desire. The gift reminded me to keep doing what is possible now. The gift has become an icon for my dream, a symbol that my dream can come true.
I had learnt a while back to envision myself in the future living my dream; I learnt to sketch it in my inner mind and to make it plain by writing the details out on a paper. Recently I read Woman Act Now and Coach Anna McCoy wrote “You want them so real that you would never think of giving up….It has to be so beyond your current circumstances and what physically exists.” I identified with that. The gift reminded me of the vivid image engrafted in my mind from my dream and my desire to see it come to pass.
I had also learnt that it is not sufficient for me to just dream but I have to act out the possibilities of achieving my dreams. Somehow, I had allowed the obstacles to pursuing this dream to overwhelm me, but this reminder helped me to regain my focus and to be assured that I have the potential and passion to pursue the dream.
Just as architects create three-dimensional models to help us appreciate what the completed project of our dream could look like, identifying an icon for the endpoint of your dream will help to give dimensions to it such that it becomes so real to you and keep you reminded of it.
Faith calls those things which are not as if they are. You need to see with the eyes of your inner mind what your heart desires, what you are dreaming about and praying about.
God said to Abraham, “Look up into the heavens and count the stars—if indeed you can count them…so shall your offspring be” and “I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars I the sky and as the sand on the seashore” (Gen. 15:5, 22:17). I am sure that the numerous stars in the sky and the sand on the beach must have become to Abraham the emblems of envisioning the fulfillment of God’s promise to him, and the answer to his prayers. I am sure each time he looked up into the sky at night and saw the numerous stars, he was reminded that faithful is He who has promised, and his heart must have been stirred up in faith that it will definitely come to pass that he will become a father of nations even though he and his wife, Sarah were advanced in age.
An icon for your dream will affirm the possibilities of your dream, it will encourage you to take steps and actions each day to accomplish your dreams and it will nudge you not to give up on the prospect of living your dream.
I have yet another dream, a vision of an answered prayer and in this vision, I saw myself—handbag over my arm, passport, ticket and boarding pass in one hand and my carry on luggage in the other hand—walking into a Jumbo Jet, in readiness for a long haul flight. I walked into the plane without any encumbrances or paraphernalia, just my personal effects. Indeed, that will be the open manifestation of God’s promise fulfilled in my life which will require no further explanation—a walking testimony.
Now I seek an icon to symbolize this vision of dream come true, one which will constantly remind me that it is coming soon. If I were an artist, I would have sketched the picture in my heart, framed it and keep it in view!
Do you have a vivid picture in your mind of what you desire and you are trusting God for?
Can you see the endpoint or end product of your dream?
Write down the details today and identify a graphic symbol to keep you reminded of your dreams.
Share the icon for your dream and we will join in encouraging you to keep it in view.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you.
    May the Lord bless and keep you and your entire Family, You are a bleesing to us all.
    Ebenezer A.D. AIBANGBEE

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts and comments. I appreciate you. God bless you.