Wednesday, July 18, 2012

When My Heart Is Overwhelmed

One phone call.

A shocking and devastating news.

And your world spins on its axis—momentarily out of control.

Just as the powerful earthquake of April 2011 moved the main island of Japan from its position and shifted the axis of rotation of the Earth, devastating events set lives off its course and on a different path.

Plans for the day, the week, the month and the foreseeable future lay in total disarray as you struggle to process the news… the shock… the grief… the pain…

It was a phone call.

And the news hit me like a ton of bricks. If I feel this way… I can not bear to imagine what it is like for my friend and her family.
With heart pounding in my chest, I dragged my feet, heavy as lead, towards the door wondering how can I best support my friend at such a time as this. I wished it was a bad dream, we will wake up and it would have been a dream. But when the door opened, it was not a dream. It really happened.

What do you say that could possibly make a difference?

Words…
 Limited,
Shallow,
so insufficient… at such a time as this.

How much do you say?

How do you say it that it would salve the raw wounds of grief on their hearts or sooth the pain of sorrow in the depth of their soul.

Helpless. Clueless.

I looked up to Jesus.

"Just be there for her, words will not mean much right now." My husband's counsel hung over my head. Still, I wanted words... the right words... they did not come.

But he trusted that the mighty and comforting hands of God and His Word is able to do much more for them than our words.

The song from Ps 61: 1-2 has been resounding in my heart since then.

Hear my cry, O God;
Attend unto my prayer.
From the end of the earth
Will I cry unto thee,
When my heart is overwhelmed,
Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I
That is higher than I.

At times of deep sorrow and grief, what do we do as Christians? What do we do when our heart is so overwhelmed. When we are visited with devastating events which defies understanding, what do we do? When tons of questions fly in quick succession through our minds, what do we do?

It is the only the Word of God that can shield us from the places our emotions and our thoughts want to go when our heart is overwhelmed.

It is the Word of God dwelling in us that leads us to the place that is higher than us.

In the heartbreaking moments of our lives, it is the Word of God which holds us up strong, and it revives us when our soul wants to cleave to the dust in grief.

"This is my comfort and consolation in my affliction: that Your Word has revived me and given me life" - Ps 119:50

Fortified by the Word of God, we can trust in the faithfulness of God and be assured that He is in control… even in this…

It is ONLY the Word of God echoing in their hearts that will ultimately make the difference.

So as my friend and her family deal with what no parent ever pray to experience… I pray:

"Father of all comfort,
Only You can be to them what no other person can be—a comforting and compassionate Father. I ask from the depth of my soul that You wrap Your mighty hands around about them, hold them close to Your bosom and breath Your peace which passes all human understanding upon them. I pray that You garrison their hearts, that it may not fail them. Hold them strong through this stormy blast anchored fast on Your love for them.
I pray in Jesus name."


Will you join me to hold them up in prayers?

I share with you "Hear My Cry, O Lord" by Marvia Providence


ADDENDUM, JULY 24TH:

Teewa, aged 17 years, was laid to rest after a commendation service held in Geneva on Monday, July 23rd. Below is a verse from the poem shared as part of the tributes made to commemorate her life.

"I am free" by Linda Jo Jackson.

Perhaps my time seems brief;
Don't lengthen it with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me,
God wanted me now, He set me free.

On behalf of my friend and her family, I want to thank you all for your calls, prayers and words of encouragement. I have passed these on to them. God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts and comments. I appreciate you. God bless you.