Thursday, November 15, 2012

Igniting Hope

When we see "Breaking News" flash across the TV screen, we know the newscaster is going to set aside all other news items and give attention to the news breaking.

That's what happened to me. I had all the materials gathered and some portions already written of the message I wanted to share on the blog this week. But something happened on Tuesday, which I was still pondering on when I roused out of sleep early on Wednesday. Suddenly, a light flashed in my spirit. I knew I had to set aside my plans to focus on the news breaking in my heart.

Twice on Tuesday, I came in contact with the same message from different sources.

The first source was a devotional plan: God's Joy in Jesus: Devotions with John Piper on YouVersion Bible. I had inadvertently skipped a day which I went back to. The Bible passage for reflection was Matthew 12: 18-21. Verse 20a caught my attention.

It re-kindled a memory.

A couple of hours later, checking my emails, I found a message from Derek Prince Ministries (DPM) sent on Nov. 9th — "Glimmer of Hope." Again I had missed this. As I read, I found the key Bible verses were Matthew 12:20a and Romans 15:13.

By the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established. This was not a chance occurrence.

God was breaking a news to me through these scriptures.

The third witness was the fact that I had done an extensive study of Romans 15:13 a few weeks back but I caught something new and fresh in that verse on Tuesday which further confirmed the message in my heart.

The outcome of my reflections on Rom. 15:13 formed the basis of the blog post - Cartwheels of Joy published on August 30th, 2012.

God is the Source and the Giver of hope. We are filled with continued peace and joy because we trust in Him which brings us a copious and superabundant flow of hope by the working of the Holy Spirit in us.

"He is the God of hope. You can not know God without having hope. He is the ultimate source of all true hope, the God of hope. God wants to fill us with all joy and peace so that we may "abound with hope." That means that we may have more that just enough hope for ourselves but we may have hope to minister to others too. And it is by the power of the Holy Spirit." - DPM.

This message from the verse sprung alive and afresh as I read the mail from DPM—we overflow with hope so that we can have hope to minister to others too. This took me back to Matt 12:20a.

A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench,…


He will not crush a bruised reed but He will hold it upright gently and tenderly until it heals. He will not put out a flickering candle but cup His hands around it and gently blows it until it burns again.

"He will not crush those who are weak, or quench the smallest hope" - New Living Translation. Jesus does some of His finest work in our lives when all hope is almost gone.

His actions brings hope.

It was at this point the name of the blog flashed back at me:

Enriching Lives. Inspiring Hope.

This is what this blog is all about, the Holy Spirit ministered to my heart —to be used to inspire hope, to give words of encouragement and to point those who are downcast, in despair, and facing challenging situations, to God the Source of hope and to the Holy Spirit, the only Agent who can minister this kind of victorious hope in our lives to the fullest.

This is my heart's deepest and earnest yearning—to be a vessel God can use to inspire hope. Such that the way I comport myself in my trials can bring hope to others. This is "Breaking News."

That is why I am here (see blog post -  Why I Am Here- Nov. 1. 2012).

The second message confirmed in my heart was a reminder of an unfinished work.

In February 2011, I started writing my first novel - an inspirational fiction - The Ice Queen. Nicknamed the Ice Queen, Abigail Davis is cold-hearted, intelligent and a fierce competitor. Edward Sagoe knew from the first moment he set eyes on her that she would be his wife but he saw a bruised reed in a dream and a gardener called to tend it. What has this got to do with Abigail? Can he melt her heart first with the love of God and then, his love for her?

I read a lot about the bruised reed while researching for this book. Matt 12:20a was pivotal in this. It therefore called my attention to this unfinished work.

The reed is light and fragile in nature. It is an emblem of feebleness and weakness. To be a bruised reed is to be poor (in the spirit, without hope), feeble—oppressed by loads of care, disillusioned and in despair.

The lamp that flickers, He will not extinguish. The smoking flax is like the wick of a lamp when the oil is exhausted. It represents feebleness and infirmity. He will not oppress those with little strength—whose hope is fading.

One rough touch will break the bruised reed and snuff life out of smoking flax. But Jesus with matchless tenderness, love and skill lifts up meek, strengthens the weak hands and firms up the feeble limbs. He replenishes their oil and blows the flickering candle into flame.

Jesus always come through for us at our weakest and lowest moments. He will not leave us without hope or let us despair but with great compassion He will gather us up in His arms and hold us up.

"Igniting hope is what Jesus does best" - DPM

When in our trials and tests, we latch on to hope and refuse to give up, and we are filled with joy and peace as we trust in God, that peace and joy from God in us radiates as hope overflows from our lives to touch the lives of others. Thus igniting hope in them as well.

We can replenish the flickering lamp with oil through our words of encouragement. You can be the one to lighten  someone's burden or put a smile on someone's face today.

How is your action, attitude and words affecting the lives of those around you?

Crushing the already downcast or tendering them with kindness.

Are your words putting out the flickering candle or are you with compassion fanning them to flame?

Copy Jesus' example:

Be an encourager and ignite hope in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts and comments. I appreciate you. God bless you.