Tuesday, September 27, 2016

O For a Thousand Tongues To Sing

I remember in 1999, my doctors told me that in just a few years down the road I would have to be in the wheelchair for the rest of my life, requiring support for day-to-day basic activities.

Here am I today, shouting and screaming praises to God.

I remember in 2013, the surgeon told me that my medical history presented a constellation of risks for doing the surgery that was the only medical option left for me to have a chance at living a quality life again. He determined that I could bleed to death on the operating table.

Here am I today, shouting and screaming praises to God.

I remember a few years ago, I laid on the black leather sofa in my sitting room and I thought of Saturday, October 1st, 2016. My physical realities then indicated that it would be nothing short of a miracle to still be here in the land of the living on this special day of my life.

Here am I today, heaping praises on God.

I remember when the label of affliction screamed louder than a gigantic billboard along a highway. It was God Who delivered me for its shame.

Here am I today, dancing and giving thanks to God.

I remember when living was difficult and the future looked bleak, it was God who delivered me from death. He brought me through the valley of the shadow of death.

He restored me. He sustained me. He secured me.

I will remember. I will remember the wonderful works of His hands.

I will stop and give Him praise.

Why?

Because He is a faithful God.

For the past few weeks, I wondered, I pondered; what can I render to God for His amazing grace that 

He caused to abound to me from the day I was conceived until this day.

What can I offer to Him for His unending love?

How can I thank Him ever thank Him enough for all He has done for me?

What shall I say to the Lord for steadfast faithfulness to me?

All I have to say is, “Thank You, God.”

So here am I to sing thanks and praises to God.

But if the more than 600,000 strands of hair on my scalp are made of tongues, they simply cannot be enough to recount all the many acts of wonder God has performed in my life for the past 50 years since I made my entrance into the world.

Charles Wesley (1707 – 1788) must have been in the same position as I am right now when he composed the hymn below:

O for a thousand tongues to sing
my great Redeemer's praise,
the glories of my God and King,
the triumphs of His grace!

This hymn succinctly expresses the depth of my gratitude and my earnest desire to let God know just how much I am grateful for who He has been to me. The triumphs of His amazing grace in my life is a book worth writing. I could write volumes on the triumphs of the grace and mercy of God manifested in my life.

During the next few days leading to my 50th birthday on October 1st, what I desire to do is to employ a thousand tongues to join me to spread through all the earth abroad, the honors of His name. Join me to heap praise on God.



I will stop, take time and lavish extravagant praise on God, for great is God’s faithfulness and amazing grace to me.

I invite you who know my story to join me; let’s raise together a thousand tongues to sing the praises of my great Redeemer.


This blog post was inspired by the following hymn and songs:
1. O for a thousand tongues by Charles Wesley
2. Na You by Frank Edward
3. We will remember by Tommy Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts and comments. I appreciate you. God bless you.